Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wah!!

Not "Working At Home!" - I've lost a Memory stick. One that looks like:  Amazon's instant order update has just let me know I bought it back in August, 2008. Quite a nice new feature I haven't noticed before.

And I cannot even remember what is on the damn thing. Eugh! Whatever was on there was probably my only copy! Aarrgghh! I'm just hoping it wasn't really important. Which has really started to get me worried.

What is even more embarrassing is that I was reading this article a few days ago and was feeling very smug about myself. D'Oh!

As a replacement I'm getting one of these: A Hypertec 16GB Slimline Hyperdrive Storage 256 bit AES Encrypted. It is a compromise between having a convenient mobile storage solution and security. Although maybe I'm making a mistake going for an even larger size than the one I lost.

Of course, what I would really like is one of these: Ironkey 4GB Personal Edition with 1 Year Internet Protection. I'm quietly drooling just thinking about it. Sad, huh! Although the Secure-USB site looks like a better place to buy it.

That said, I'm planning on completely changing how I use these memory sticks. As you'll see on another posting, I'm updating my home storage and intend to religiously follow a procedure of backing up the memory stick to that storage every day that I load something onto this new memory stick.

One of the other secure memory sticks that I looked at before deciding on the Hypertec product claimed to have software that would update/replicate the information on the stick automatically. Because of poor reviews for that line of memory sticks I chose not to purchase one of those, but I hope to emulate that functionality using a version of rsync for windows or a variant therof. There is also a shareway program I heard about via the MajorGeeks website called Oops!Backup which sounds really interesting. If I cannot home-brew the functionality I want. I'll look at that program.

No comments: