Tuesday, March 3, 2009

VirtualBox Shared Folders

Shared Folders on VirtualBox would be fantastic if it wasn't such a PITA to access them the first time on XP.

Setting one up is easy, but accessing it is something else. At first I thought they weren't working on XP. Indeed others have come to the same conclusion!

Some quick googling brought me to the following blog. Huzzah! A solution. 

Now, carefully click on the expand icon (expand icon) right next to My Network Places. Make sure you click exactly on the expand icon. If you accidentally clicked on My Network Places, you ruined everything and you will have to go back and start all over again.

I'm not sure what the difference was thought to be by Microsoft design team. From a user perspective I'm struggling to think of anything else I would want explorer to do for me at this point. Perhaps one of the team has blogged about it, but... Well, now I know.

Given the age of the blog the documentation ought to be considerably clearer than it is.

So it goes!

No comments: