Tuesday, March 3, 2009

eclipse + Accurev = 42 ??

I downloaded the latest jre to use with eclipse. Yes, Accurev had installed a jre, and once upon a time I would have used that jre. Or at least would have tried to use that jre.

There are times where I try to keep the total tools install as small as possible and others where I try to keep each tool as self-contained as possible. At the moment I am going through the latter type of phase. So one jre for eclipse and a different one (different version) for Accurev.

Eclipse reminds me greatly of Rational Rose. As eclipse was developed at IBM Canada and Rational are an IBM company maybe that is no surprise.

To many, perhaps most, people the comparison will be seen as a complement. I'm not sure I mean it as one. I have very mixed feelings about Rose.

So I'm using eclipse with the Accurev bridge for eclipse and Accurev. Accurev is an excellent tool and the Accurev bridge certainly works well. It seems to be by far and away the easiest SCM integration to add to eclipse. The subvserion integrations in particular require far more work.

But at the end of the day, you are still using eclipse.

No comments: