Monday, February 8, 2010

SNMP on grml/debian

I've been adding some additional servers into my Zenoss system. As most of my Linux boxes are running CentOS Linux, adding them in is no problem.

But I have one grml system. Why different? I had downloaded an appliance from the vmware community site. I needed a bugzilla system - there was one ready built - it seemed like a good idea at the time!

So,...
I had checked that snmp was installed on the system.
I had edited the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file to include the settings I wanted.
I had started the snmpd service.

But I couldn't perform an snmpwalk from my zenoss server and couldn't add it as a device into Zenoss!

Some digging with netstat revealed that port 161 was only listening for the localhost/127.0.0.1! Which was confusing because I wasn't configuring it to be like that.

Where was it picking that up from?

A quick google, quickly found these two sites, HowToForge & DebianWiki with essentially the same information.

There are some default setting in /etc/default/snmpd including the value of the environment variable SNMPDOPTS.
Out of the box, it is set to
SNMPDOPTS='-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u snmp -I -smux -p /var/run/snmpd.pid 127.0.0.1'
which I chenged to
SNMPDOPTS='-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u snmp -I -smux -p /var/run/snmpd.pid'

I restarted the snmpd service and checked the result from netstat -an
Huzzah!

I checked the snmpwalk and saw screeds of stuff fly up my console. And lastly, I successfully added the box into zenoss.

And that's that!

No comments: