Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First thoughts on Accurev

I've just installed Accurev.

On a Linux box as the server and a client. And on a XP box as just a client.

Admittedly, the "boxes" were actually virtual machines running on Sun's xVM VirtualBox software - my favourite free PC Virtualization software. At the moment, anyway. Starting up an XP image on a PC running XP is much faster than booting the XP machine!

Anyhow, back to Accurev.

It is was a very smooth installation. As you'd expect from a commercial application. The installation begins by listing what will happen, and ends by showing you the same list with the success status of each item. A very favourable installation compared to the installation of Subversion a couple of months earlier. Installing Subversion wasn't bad experience, mind! Just not as polished as Accurev.

I took screenshots all the way through the install process with the aim of throwing them up on the web, but frankly I do not think it is necessary. Unless you are an irredeemable newbie, it is just so straightforward. Just "Click Next to continue". Well... Almost. There was a small amount of text to type in.

Perhaps the only benefit from showing you a screen shot would have been to demonstrate that the two installations were essentially the same. A benefit of Java technology!

The one thing I had to remember was to copy the keys.txt licence file I was sent by Accurev to the /opt/aacurev/storage/site_slice/ directory to overwrite the empty keys.txt file already there. Once done, I was licensed.

I've only been using the client for a couple of days now. Again it is looks and feels the same across the two platforms. Again the benefit of using Java. Having used ClearCase and Attache on *nix and Windows for 13-ish years now, I'd have to say that any ClearCase user would feel at home.

Adding files and directories is straightforward. Promoting those files to the parent stream was also quite straightforward. I might not have that terminology quite correct just yet. However, by comparison to Perforce it seems much more userfriendly. That also might not be fair on Perforce. We haven't paid maintenance on Perforce since , well probably since 2002!

That's that for now. I'll keep posting on my progress.

No comments: