Tuesday, July 20, 2010

ClearCase Funny!

Funny as in peculiar!

This morning an user came up to me. He had tried to create a new view and received an error message.

I logged in as him and got the same error.
cleartool mkview -tag mtest /net/server/views/my_view.vws
cleartool: Error: Unable to contact albd_server on host 'server'
cleartool: Error: Cannot bind an admin_server handle on "server": ClearCase object not found.
cleartool: Error: Unable to create view "/net/server/views/my_view.vws".

...

I googled the error message and it showed up a whole bunch of pages with similar discussions to this IBM support document.

However that wasn't the problem.

For various reasons, the user had set the environment variable ATRIAHOME to what amounted to garbage for his shell. That value had then been used by the cleartool mkview command, with the appropriate error.

So it goes!

No comments: