Thursday, May 29, 2008

Solaris 10 authenticating against Active Directory

There a number of good blogs discussing this subject. I'd recommend Scott's and the OpenSolaris blogs.

I used Scott Lowe's blog for the instructions on how to get CentOS Linux machines to authenticate against Active Directory. It was right on the money. Especially as I needed my machines to run Samba to create an interoperability solution for a number of software development teams who use IBM Rational ClearCase.

However, his instructions for Solaris 10 servers never worked in my environment.

My environment is Windows 2003 Active Directory with all the servers have been patched with service pack 2 and the latest monthly patches. The Server for NIS and Password Synchronization modules of Services For Unix v3.5 has also been installed, which obviously had extended the schema. As Service Pack 2 had been installed, the hotfix that fixes passwd sync after the "upgrade" has also been applied. N.B. the servers are not running Windows 2003 R2 - that would make a big difference and from all accounts it would be much easier to interoperate with.

There is an article on BigAdmin on this subject. The method described almost worked for me. I'd say it went 90% of the way. The part that didn't work was the ldapclient command. Specifically, it was trying to usecredentialLevel=self with authenticationMethod= sasl/gssapi , i.e.

ldapclient -v manual \
-a credentialLevel=self \
-a authenticationMethod=sasl/gssapi \
...


I was able to get around this by changing the ldapclient command to:

ldapclient -v manual \
-a credentialLevel=proxy \
-a authenticationMethod=simple \
-a proxyDN=cn=proxy_user,cn=users,dc=example,dc=com \
-a proxyPassword=password \
...


I also had to change the serviceSearchDescriptor attributes from

-a serviceSearchDescriptor=passwd:cn=users,dc=example,dc=com?one \
-a serviceSearchDescriptor=group:cn=users,dc=example,dc=com?one

to

-a serviceSearchDescriptor=passwd:dc=example,dc=com?sub \
-a serviceSearchDescriptor=group:dc=example,dc=com?sub


That done and Bob was my parental Sibling of the usually male variety!

No comments: