Friday, May 30, 2008

Legato Networker Configuration Duplication

I made a mistake whilst installing Legato Networker on a Solaris 10 box. The mistake prevented the backup server from backing up the Solaris 10 client.

I support multiple DNS domains and the backup server appears in many of those domains and as the backupserver is multihomed it appears in those domains with different IP addresses.

The Solaris 10 client was in Domain dom1.example.com, one of the few sub-domains the backup server actually isn't in!

When I installed NetWorker I specificed that the backupserver as backupserver.dom2.example.com. The backupserver was actually trying to communicate with the Solaris 10 client over the network where it was known as backupserver.dom3.example.com.

Networker didn't like the loop effect of this arrangement and the backup was failing.

In fact I should have just specified a simple server name, unqualified by a domain name and added the backupserver into hosts file.

D'Oh!

However, it took a little longer to resolve than I had expected because Networker not only records the backup server in the /nsr/res/servers file but also records it several times in the /nsr/res/nsrla.res file.

As I said above, I would have saved myself some confusion by entering the unqualified name of the backup server upon installation.

No comments: