Saturday, December 27, 2008

Solaris Virtualization

I'm doing quite a lot with virtualization at work. I've recently been looking at virtualization of our Sun Sparc servers. Sun has a very good story on virtualization. Sun has positioned itself to cover the entire virtualization market - with some very good software. Sun's strategy, which in fairness is similar to many other vendors, i.e. VMware & Microsoft, has been to make the hypervisor or "VM player" free and to charge for the management software.

Sun's virtualization software encompasses:
  • LDoms
  • Zones/Containers
  • VirtualBox

LDom are similar to VMs under VMware ESX.
Zones/Containers are similar to VMs on VMServer
VirtualBox is, for me, more intuitive than VM player/workstation. At least in the current version.

There is a lot of information out there on the web about Sun's virtualization. The OpenSolaris and BigAdmin sites are good starting points.

Over the next few weeks I'll be creating a cookbook of procedures for using Sun's virtualization. Some of these I found on the Internet and am reproducing for my own benefit to have in a single place. Others are the result of my own perspiration.

No comments: