Friday, August 1, 2008

Integrating Wikis

I've recently created a Wiki for the whole company. However a number of departments have already been "testing" Wikis.

I was quite nervous about this, about integrating the Wikis.

Unnecessarily nervous, though.

I was able to use Special Pages:Export Pages to export all the pages listed on the Special Pages:All Pages page. Although you have to type them all in.

However, some of those pages reference uploaded files. Jpegs actually. There doesn't appear to be a Special Page to export all uploaded files. I had to log on to the server and copy them onto another server from whence I was able to ftp them to my desktop. From my Desktop, I logged into the Company Wiki and uploaded the files one by one. Not fun, but the file upload mechanism is surprisingly well written. It remembers your previous directory - at least whilst you are logged in! If you mistakenly try to upload a file twice an error message is displayed with the text "A file with this name exists already, please check Image:Example24.jpg if you are not sure if you want to change it." And you have the choice of replacing it or choosing a new file. Some thought has been used here! Much kudos is deserved by the developers. Regrettably, you do not often see that much thought.

To import the pages I used the Special Pages:Import Pages page and uploaded the exported xml file from the "test" Wiki. It just loads the pages.

I checked out the uploaded pages. There were a couple of instances where uploaded images had slightly different names as the references are case sensitive. It was trivial to change those and then everything looked perfect.

Despite the ease with which this went, it could have been easier still:
  • the export pages page could list all the pages with tick-box selection boxes
  • the export pages function could also export referenced images
  • the import pages function could also upload the images with the correct case
Well! That's that!

No comments: